What’s your idea of romance?
A romantic meal? the lighter the better; it’s not a night for falling asleep early!
Aphrodisiac foods? Take this food idea a step further - certain foods supposedly have aphrodisiac qualities – strawberries, chocolate, figs, asparagus, and oysters. Casanova claimed to eat 50 oysters for breakfast every day and swore they were the reason for his boundless energy and libido!
Flowers?A dozen red roses says it all.
Paris? – this capital tops the poll when it comes to romance. As the Eiffel tower is out of bounds this year, perhaps settle for a French wine instead?
Creating a Pink Palace? Look around you - pink is undeniably the colour of romance.
Popping the question?Marry Me? or plucking up the courage to ask someone out (…on a 5km walk)
Spoiling someone special? It could be your lover. It can also be a non-romantic gesture for someone who means a lot to you. For a wine lover, it could be an extra-special bottle of wine.
Here’s our top 10 wines, whatever way you are celebrating this weekend:
- Picpoul de Pinet Croix de Bezard – This white is famously good with oysters! (if you’re not brave enough, it’s equally good with shellfish and fish).
- San Valentin White – it’s not just a name – this is a delicious crisp fruity white from Spain.
- DuBoeuf Beaujolais Nouveau this silky soft light red goes beautifully with lighter foods, and might even save on flowers!
- When we Dance – This Chianti comes from Trudi Styler – Sting’s other half. They know a thing or two about love and romance, celebrating 27 years together this year. Her wine’s not just good, it’s organic and biodynamic! A perfect wine for an Italian-inspired romantic evening.
- Fontanafredda Barolo – the estate was originally the hunting lodge of the King of Italy, who gifted it to his mistress in the 1800s. Today it makes a stunning, full-bodied red. Sure to impress a connoisseur.
- Whispering Angel Rosé an iconic Rosé to treat someone special, made on the French estate owned by one of the world’s most photographed couples, Brangelina.
- Haute-Couture Rosé -perfect tipple made for two, French style.
- Baglietti Spumante Prosecco is guaranteed to put a sparkle in someone’s eyes, whatever your proposal might entail….
- Dada Chocolat –perfect with chocolates.
- Bollinger – this famous Champagne is James Bond’s favourite in all the movies. Daniel Craig isn’t on the market; this is possibly the next best thing!